Allow influencers to be creative
- Provide them with your goals and a strategic
framework to work within. Let them decide the
creative angle to tell their story.
- Remember that influencers are real people and
you are hiring them to tell their authentic story
with your brand.
Keep authenticity in mind when crafting your
- If possible, avoid draft review and do not require influencers to use trademarks
within their content. Performance suffers when content reads more like an
- Avoid asking for "in store photos" to highlight the shopping/retail/brand
experience. This tends to negatively affect performance. There is nothing
organic about requiring 10 bullets, shares on 6 social websites, and pictures of
products on shelves in a store"
- If you'd like an influencer to use product, provide them a gift card up front to
help with the costs. $30 may seem like a small amount, but think about how that
adds up for multiple campaigns when payment arrives post-campaign.
- If you opt for draft review, provide clear, concise and consolidated draft
- Keep in mind that an influencer's time, like yours, is valuable. If you sense that
your request is going outside of the initial agreement, offer additional
Make it fun!
- Influencers are more likely to give you the best value for your campaign when
they feel collaborative and are given creative freedom.
- Positivity, authenticity and enthusiasm are contagious – let the influencers know
how excited you are about the campaign and collaborating with them.
Build relationships with the influencers
- Consult with them on the best approaches for
your various goals and creative strategies;
keeping in mind they are interested in a mutually
- An ideal collaboration is when a client asks the
influencer's opinion "how would you go about
Trust that the influencer knows their readers and audience better than you
• Allow the influencers to determine which social channel makes sense to
promote their content, rather than dictating it. Some influencers use their
channels very differently and attract a different type of follower in each place.